CLARENCE LEROY HOLTE MAIP FELLOW OF THE YEAR AWARD
The discipline of multicultural marketing is a standard in today’s advertising industry. It is a growing and essential part of our business and many of our clients. However, this was not always the case. In the 1950’s, the term multicultural had yet to be born, and persons of color in advertising, much less the study of their behavior as a method to impact the sale of goods and services was virtually non-existent.
That began to change in 1952, when Clarence Leroy Holte joined the advertising agency Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborn, and became one of the first persons of color to hold a management position on Madison Avenue. A trained social researcher, Clarence L. Holte served as an ethnic specialist, leading BBDO into the study of various ethnic consumer groups and the country’s growing minority population (as they were referred to then). Clarence’s insight assisted a number of BBDO clients and paved the way for the agency’s current noted and respected Special Markets Department. The department is the only one of its kind at a major advertising agency, and is a leading provider of multicultural behavioral information to many media industry organizations. The fact that Mr. Holte’s success was achieved during a time when America did not readily embrace the moral and political ideals of multiculturalism cannot be overlooked.
It is the essence of this pioneering spirit that we seek to recognize in today’s young advertising professionals.
Key criteria for nomination:
- Exemplifies outstanding leadership and initiative.
- Passion for our business and embraces its principals.
- Demonstrates poise, compassion and consideration of the team effort.
- Shows passion for diversity & inclusion in the industry.
Nomination forms must be submitted no later than Friday, July 19th by 2 out of 3:
- An agency supervisor
- MAIP mentor
- Agency HR contact
APPLY HERE: https://goo.gl/Xs4ukM
the one club/maip creative fellow of the year award
key criteria for nomination:
- Nominees must be current MAIP Fellows in one of the following disciplines: Art Direction, Copywriting, Digital/Interactive Design.
- All Fellows nominated must submit from their portfolio 3-5 pieces of their best work. Submissions may include but are not limited to the categories of Print, Video, TV, Events/Installations (Out of Home), Digital, Interactive, Billboard, Online and Experiential.
- MAIP Supervisors/Coaches must submit a Letter of Recommendation identifying how the fellow: Exemplifies outstanding initiative and innovation in the creative field
- Possesses a passion for our industry and its business
- Embraces the principals of the advertising industry
- Demonstrates poise, compassion and consideration of the team spirit
- Excels in the “big idea” creation
Pipeline Rule: All MAIP Fellows in a creative position (Art Direction, Copywriting and Digital/Interactive Design) who participated in one or more of The One Club Creative Boot Camps automatically will be nominated but must still submit 3-5 samples of their best work from their portfolios.
Nomination forms must be submitted no later than Friday, July 19th by:
- An agency supervisor
- MAIP mentor
Apply here: https://goo.gl/1rwSk7
maip/ digitaslbi multicultural scholarship
The MAIP / DigitasLBi Multicultural Scholarship Award was established to assist talented diverse students with college tuition who are seeking future careers in the advertising and marketing field. This scholarship is funded by DigitasLBi and administered by the American Association of Advertising Agencies (4A’s) Foundation. One $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to one MAIP participant who exhibits financial need and has successfully completed the scholarship application.
To apply, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a 2017 MAIP Fellow
- Must be a rising senior or graduating within 12 months of 9/1/2017 and have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Asian-American, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific, or Multicultural
- A citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- In financial need
Applications must be submitted no later than Thursday, July 10th and contain:
- Online application
- Resume and/or portfolio (if applicable)
- Two letters of recommendation from a mentor, manager or school faculty member at your college
- One page essay question
- Most recent transcript